The post Practical RV Safety Products That Will Make You Feel Secure appeared first on Getaway Couple.
One of our major concerns before we hit the road was RV safety. Now, some of the things we feared we haven’t encountered in our 3+ years on the road. Additionally, a whole slew of things we didn’t even think of were thrown our way. Either way, we still feel strongly about RV safety and want every RVer to be prepared on the road.
Not only does RV safety pertain to other people that might have ill intentions, but we are thinking about safety from natural disasters and accidents as well. In our experience, we haven’t faced any theft, however, we have faced plenty of thunderstorms, hail, and wind!
There are certain items that will give you peace of mind on the road, even if you never have to use them. Today, we’re going to review our list of RV safety products that have made us feel secure while traveling. Let’s dive in!
Table of contents
- RV Wheel Chocks
- NOAA Emergency Weather Radio
- Walkie Talkies for RV Safety
- Fire Extinguisher for RV Safety
- Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm
- Fireproof Safe
- Security Cameras for RV Safety
- RV Hitch Lock for RV Safety
- Trailer Lock
- RV Lock
- Pepper Spray for RV Safety
- Emergency Kit for RV Safety
- Final Thoughts on RV Safety
RV Wheel Chocks
First and foremost, we want every RVer to own a set of wheel chocks! This might seem and odd item to list first for RV safety, but it’s a major one. We learned this lesson the hard way our second week on the road. If you are setting up on any type of incline, you must chock your trailer tires before unhitching to prevent any rolling.MaxxHaul 2 pack 70472 Solid Rubber Heavy Duty Black Wheel Chock, 8" Long x 4" Wide x 6" high-2 Pack, 2 pack
- Approximate size: 8 inch length x 4 inch width x 5 inch height
- Features all weather construction and a rubber traction pad that make them the perfect choice to keep your vehicle or trailer secure in any climate.
- Includes built-in handle for easy placement or positioning and rubber traction pad with oil resistant surface to prevent slippage
- Designed to perform better than plastic or resin-made wheel chocks
NOAA Emergency Weather Radio
An emergency radio is an absolute must-have RV safety product when RVing. Most likely, you will be traveling in areas that you aren’t familiar with their weather patterns. The last thing you want is a sudden thunderstorm or tornado heading your way! A NOAA weather radio will alert you of any alerts in the area, so you have time to load up and leave if necessary.Midland - WR120B/WR120EZ - NOAA Emergency Weather Alert Radio - S.A.M.E. Localized Programming, Trilingual Display, 60+ Emergency Alerts, & Alarm Clock (WR120B - Box Packaging)
- Public-alert certified monitor receives 7 NOAA channels with flood, tornado, thunderstorm, and other warnings
- SAME alert programming sounds an alert only when specific counties are threatened
- 25-county memory system; 90 dB siren, voice alert, and flashing LED warning systems
- Uses three AA alkaline batteries for emergency power back-up in the event of power outage
Walkie Talkies for RV Safety
If you’re traveling with anyone besides yourself, having walkie talkies on hand is a great idea. We use ours to communicate when backing up the RV. When also use them when caravanning with friends. It’s a great way to quickly talk to others without calling them on the phone; not to mention, they’re clutch for communicating with caravanning friends when not in cell phone service.Midland - LXT630VP3, 36 Channel FRS Two-Way Radio - Up to 30 Mile Range Walkie Talkie, 121 Privacy Codes, NOAA Weather Scan + Alert (Pair Pack) (Yellow/Black)
- 2-WAY RADIOS - These walkie-talkies feature 36 FRS (Family Radio Service) channels, along with channel scan to check for activity. The bold yellow faceplate provides high visibility.
- 30-MILE RANGE - Longer range communication in open areas with little or no obstruction.
- 121 CTCSS PRIVACY CODES - The Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System gives you up to 2,662 channel options to help block other conversations. Use silent operation to turn off all tones.
- NOAA WEATHER SCAN + ALERT - NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 10 available weather (WX) band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area.
Fire Extinguisher for RV Safety
Almost all RVs come with fire extinguishers included. However, we’ve heard those aren’t the best and in some cases have done nothing to help put out a fire. We’ve replaced the fire extinguisher in our RV with a better one and think all RVers should do the same. It’s such an important RV safety item, why risk it?First Alert 1038789 Standard Home Fire Extinguisher, Red
- First alert's home1 fire extinguisher is UL rated 1 A: 10 B:C; it features durable all metal construction with a commercial grade metal valve and trigger
- Multipurpose fire extinguisher fights wood, paper, trash, plastics, gasoline, oil, and electrical equipment fires
- Use monoammonium phosphate extinguishing agent; Rechargeable by certified professionals after use
- Metal pull pin with a safety seal to help prevent accidental discharge and tampering; Corrosion resistant, easy to read, color coded metal gauge; Waterproof label with easy instructions
Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm
This is another RV safety item that might come in a new RV. Be sure to check your own RV though, because if you don’t have one, you need to add ASAP. By RVing, you are increasing your exposure to carbon monoxide so this gadget is a must.Kidde Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm |Battery Operated | Model # KN-COB-LP2 9CO5-LP2
- 2 AA battery backup
- Low battery hush
- Event memory
- Loud 85 decibel alarm
We use our fireproof safe for important documents and valuable items. This RV safety item speaks for itself. Be sure to add anything you wouldn’t be willing to lose in a fire to your safe.SentrySafe CHW20221 Fireproof Box and Waterproof Box with Key Lock 0.28 Cubic Feet,Charcoal Gray
- Fireproof box is UL Classified to endure 1/2 hour at 1550°F to protect irreplaceable documents, small valuables, DVDs, and USBs from fire
- Waterproof box is ETL Verified for 72 hours of water submersion offering peace of mind in the event of a flood
- Fireproof lock box features a tubular key lock for added security and to prevent the lid from opening in the event of a fire; includes two keys
- Document safe features built-in straps for easy storage of passports, social security cards, and birth certificates; fire box holds A4 size paper
Security Cameras for RV Safety
We love having our wireless security cameras. It’s been great to be able to check in on the RV whenever we are away from it. An added bonus is we get to peek in on our dog, Carmen as well! They are great for campgrounds but gave us extra peace of mind when boondocking. It felt strange to leave our RV in the middle of nowhere at first and our Arlo cameras eased our worries.Arlo Pro 3 – Wire-Free Security 2 Camera System | 2K with HDR, Indoor/Outdoor, Color Night Vision, Spotlight, 160° View, 2-Way Audio, Siren | Works with Alexa | (VMS4240P)
- Wire-free and weather-resistant design, works with Alexa and Google Assistant, and includes 3 months of Arlo smart service with rolling 30 day cloud recordings
- 2K video with HDR: Zoom in on objects and see clearer details and colors in 2K HDR
- Color night vision: See what’s lurking with color night vision or black and white. Battery life - 3-6 months. Charge time to full (via camera) - 3.5 hours. Charge time to Full (via charger accessory)- 2.9 hours
- Integrated spotlight: Light up the night and ward off unwelcome guests
Budget Option – The Ring Camera
If security cameras are out of the budget, we recommend Ring. This is a battery-operated model so no dealing with wires. With this option, you can still check-in on the outside of your RV and be alerted if there is motion or someone rings your bell.Ring Peephole Cam - Smart video doorbell, HD video, 2-way talk, easy installation
- Upgrade your door’s peephole with a 1080p HD video doorbell that enables you to see, hear, and speak to visitors from anywhere.
- Get alerts on your phone, tablet, and PC when anyone knocks on your door, presses the doorbell button, or triggers the motion sensors.
- Peephole Cam is easy to install and comes with all the tools you need to replace your peephole in under 5 minutes; no wiring or drilling required.
- Connect your Ring doorbell with Alexa to hear announcements on your compatible Echo device when your doorbell is pressed and see a live view of your camera if you have an Echo device with a screen. Talk to visitors by saying “Alexa, talk to the front door.”
RV Hitch Lock for RV Safety
Our RV hitch lock was another RV safety item that gave us peace of mind when boondocking. You simply lock this onto your hitch so no one can hook up and roll out with your rig!BOYISEN 5th Wheel King Pin Lock Solid Steel Anti Theft for RVs, Container Trailers and Campers with Handles Warning Tag
- More Convenient with Handle, Compared with other kingpin lock, BOYISEN trailer kingpin Lock add handle and turn cylinder outward instead of downward, it will be more convenient while lock or unlock for 5th wheel under trailer
- Keyed Unique, Unlike other trailer lock using flat lock, BOYISEN anti theft trailer lock using blossom lock, come with two keys for your lock only. No worry about another BOYISEN kingpin lock will have the same key.
- Heavy Duty construction: This Trailer Lock is made of solid steel instead of casting steel, strong enough for weather resistant, hard to break. The heavy duty steel will add more difficulties for steal drills, and lasts for years.
- High Visibility: This Kingpin lock is designed to be bright yellow, and come with warning tag, so you could notice if it is still stay in place, and remind you of removing it when you want to hitching.
Similar to the hitch lock, this trailer lock prevents someone from connecting to your RV and rolling out. From our research, we noticed there are cheaper ones on the market but they didn’t have steller reviews. If you’re fearful of someone stealing your travel trailer, this might be worth the investment.AMPLOCK U-BRP2516 RV/Trailer Coupler Lock (fits 2 5/16 inches Coupler)
- Molded to fit the specific shape of your trailer or Caravan (RV) 2 5/16 inches coupler when unhitched
- Materials used by AMPLOCK provide good rust resistance for use in all climates
- Easy to use with AMPLOCK’s push and lock system
- The strongest lock to secure your trailer or caravan (RV) made with high quality materials and control and identification key system
We love our RVLock! Not only is it super convenient, but it’s very secure. If you didn’t know, most RV companies use a rotation of keys so it’s pretty easy to find a key for your RV. Additionally, the locks that come from the factory are easy to break into. We’ve felt a lot more secure since installing our RVLock. The model below is for our Grand Design Solitude but you can visit the RV Lock Amazon Store to find your exact match.RVLock V4 Keyless Entry Handle w/ Integrated Keypad & Fob
- Upgrade Your RV's Security with the Convenience of Keyless Entry
- The V4 is the Industry's Most Innovative and Secure Keyless RV Handle
- Includes: (1) V4 Keyless Handle with Integrated Keypad, (1) Remote Fob, (2) Mechanical Keys and Simple Installation Hardware
- Replaces Standard Handles (approx. 3.75" x 2.75" x 1.5") - 5th Wheel, Bumper Pull, Traveler Trailer, Campers
Pepper Spray for RV Safety
It never hurts to have pepper spray on hand! We have a few bottles for different rooms of the RV and on our keys. I do want to mention that pepper spray isn’t legal in every state so you run the small risk of getting “caught” by having it, but that’s a risk we’re willing to take.SABRE RED Pepper Spray Keychain with Quick Release for Easy Access – Max Police Strength OC Spray, Finger Grip for Accurate Aim, 10-Foot (3M) Range, 25 Bursts (5X Other Brands) Practice Spray Option
- #1 PEPPER SPRAY BRAND TRUSTED BY POLICE AND CONSUMERS WORLDWIDE: Including New York PD, Chicago PD and U.S. Marshals; RELIABLE & LONG-LASTING: 4-year shelf life (2X the industry standard) for the best self-protection available; Made in the USA
- GUARANTEED MAXIMUM STRENGTH: SABRE's professional-grade OC Spray is backed by our in-house HPLC lab testing, guaranteeing maximum heat and stopping power in every burst and eliminating the 30% failure rate experienced with other brands (U of Utah study)
- MAXIMUM STOPPING POWER AT A SAFE DISTANCE: ½ oz container with impressive 10-foot (3M) range with 25 bursts (up to 5x other brands) delivered in powerful stream to decrease wind blowback, plus UV marking dye aids in identifying suspect
- EASY ACCESS IN STRESSFUL SITUATIONS: SABRE is one of the only brands to offer the Quick Release Key Ring providing fast, immediate access; PREVENTS ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE with reinforced trigger twist lock for safe storage in purse or backpack
Emergency Kit for RV Safety
Last but definitely not least is an RV emergency kit. We built out our RV emergency kit after having a few scary situations happen. We have a range of items in our kit, and you should read our article How To Create The Best RV Emergency Kit To Handle Any Disastrous Situation to start building yours. An emergency kit is key for RV safety.
Final Thoughts on RV Safety
You never know what you are going to encounter on the road but taking the proper steps to protect yourself will help. We hope this list of RV safety items gets you headed in the right direction. Once you’ve done all you can, the only thing you can do is expect the unexpected and roll with it!
Join 5000+ Subscribers
For Exclusive Access to our Weekly Getaway Tips
What You Will Receive: ✅Tips and tricks to save you money and time when purchasing an RV and while out on the road. ✅Hand-picked product reviews and recommendations that we use and love. ✅Destination highlights and activities that you need to add to your bucket list.First Name * Email * Join the Gang
Other Articles You My Enjoy