Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an insidious poison. It is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. It can endanger lives even at low levels of concentration. Many cases of reported carbon monoxide poisoning indicate while victims are aware they are not well, they become so disoriented they are unable to save themselves by either exiting or calling for assistance. Young children and household pets may be the first affected.

CO gas is produced when any type of fuel is incompletely burned. Potential sources of CO in and around your RV can include gas or diesel engine exhaust, portable space heaters, gas stoves and ovens, furnaces, defective engine exhaust systems, portable grills, other nearby RVs, portable generators, generator exhaust, and other propane-powered appliances.

CARBON MONOXIDE (CO) POISONING may cause the following symptoms:

It is important to discuss these symptoms with ALL household members and RV guests.

• Mild exposure: Headaches, running nose, sore or watery eyes, often described as flu-like symptoms.

• Medium exposure: Dizziness, drowsiness, vomiting.

• Extreme exposure: Unconsciousness, brain damage and death.

Anonymous's picture